Tuesday, April 06, 2010

A picture that invokes a few 1000 words

Yesterday was Women's Writes day, but I had other things on my mind. Today, however, I saw something that makes me livid, and so, perhaps Shine will still link this entry to her blog, here.

I have never had an abortion.
I have never had to have an abortion because I got on the pill when I became sexually active and I've gotten off only once, last summer, for four months, which was a disaster, but I digress.
I have been on the pill more than half my life.
If I got pregnant now, I would not have an abortion.
For one, the man I am with would make the perfect father. I assure you this has not always been the case. For another, I am a secure, well-educated, happily employed, capable woman who can not only give a child a fabulous life, but also knows that there's nothing she'll miss out on, regret or destroy by bringing a child into the world. I assure you, this has not always been the case either.
But the reason I never had to have an abortion, is because I had the choice to control my reproduction.
And make no mistake, had anyone ever told me that I couldn't have an abortion, he would have rued the day he was born.
But, you probably could have figured this out by now. Right? Ok, so what's my point?
Notice that I used the word he in that sentence.
This morning I was behind a vehicle covered in Spanish And English anti-abortion propaganda. It's quite a picture: Dozens of hateful messages looming over you, one more retarded and vile than the next.
It's offensive enough that self-righteous, exclusionary, Christian freaks define their position as pro-life.
I'm here to tell you - we are all pro LIFE!
But this asshole had all these stickers, including one that said, "Vote Pro Choice," - Satan. And one that read, "Real Men Love Jesus."
Now, first off, if you're stupid enough to believe that Jesus only loved some of us, I'm afraid this whole post is lost on you.
But how does that sticker reconcile with Jesus's instruction that those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones?
I get so frustrated by the whole thing, I can get side-tracked for weeks.
Ummmm, back to my point about men and abortion...
A woman in a loving relationship with a man will not choose an abortion without great pain and great cause. And abortion is always the decision of the individuals involved in the pregnancy.
But women shouldn't have to be subjected to hate speech on the back of vehicles. And no man should ever tell a women he doesn't know intimately, what she or any other woman should do with her body.
So men, I'm going to dumb this down so you can all get it: SHUT THE FUCK UP about what I do with my body (Except you, Brandon).
And for the love of God, please go back and read that part in the bible where Jesus says, "love thy neighbor as thyself."
Thank you.

3 comments:

The Adventurous Chicken said...

You tell 'em girlfriend!!!

Chihuahuah Balls said...

You and your oh so neo bra burning liberalism! What makes you think that you will have a female child? As the saying goes....may your child be masculine and bring you much joy with HIS philandering!

Antje Spethmann said...

I won't have any children.