Tuesday, March 26, 2013

This hipster, locavore, comfort food BS is wearing thin

Ok, what the hell is the deal with ugly wait staff and ugly menus and ugly dishes?
Really... what is it?
I am supposed to love Company Cafe because they are Gluten Free. And they are the only ones. But the truth is, their wait staff are badly dressed slobs with attitudes. It's always cold in the restaurants, every time I go. To either one. And the food is pretty uninspired.
I'm not thrilled with Bolsa or Smoke or Oddfellows, either.
Sure, they're local. Sure, they do a few things well. But they have the same grumpy, hipster, poorly dressed wait staff. And the same shitty attitude.
When Tillman's did Broke Back Mountain Plaid, it was fun, and purposeful and still pretty new. Now, it's just ridiculous how much badly fitting plaid you see on wait staff everywhere.
Oddfellows atmosphere is strained by their pretentiousness around food that my grandmother could have kicked their asses at preparing. And the coffee is just. not. that. good.
What I like least is the inconsistency. Some days the green beans at Company Cafe are the best I've ever had. Some days, they're cold and rubbery.
Some days the salads at Bolsa are nearly alive they're so fresh. Other times... drowned in their own dressing.
Am I the only one who's supposed to like these places because they're cool and get good reviews and who just can't get that excited any more...
Today, I found out that Oddfellows, the quintessentially community restaurant  - serving food grown in the Texas community - wouldn't put up a lost dog poster. Really? This is Oak Cliff.
You can get over yourself. I'm pretty sure I can get a tastier breakfast for less money at El Jordan.

No comments: