Friday, December 28, 2012

Eggs. And Wyoming

Eggs. I went out for lunch, shopped for jeans, had my toenails painted neon buttercup, and forgot to buy Eggs.
***
Now that I have received a fantastic camera for Christmas, I have this desire to upgrade a bunch of other electronics: Ipod, Airport, Smartphone. This is only interesting because prior to Christmas, I had absolutely no desire for anything new. I forgot I owned two Ipods, an airport express and that my phone's keyboard doesn't work right any more.
***
There's nothing wrong with my health and yet I never feel good. There's nothing wrong with my relationship, and yet I always wonder if I'm caring for it diligently enough. I know that I rode, and hiked and climbed consistently last year, but I am not exercising enough. I make plenty of money, but there's an unending list of things that need to be paid for.
In the big picture, I am doing really well. But... if you asked me right now "how are you?," I would have a litany of complaints.
This is why, in general, in America, when asked if we're happy - we are consistently not. Yet we live in the most free, richest, most technologically advanced, prettiest, most advanced country we can imagine.
Someone reminded me the other day - by posting Louis CK on my Facebook page - that we have everything we've ever dreamt possible. Our life expectancy is increasing, our wealth is increasing, our access to information and each other keeps on growing. I do wonder why that's not good enough?
***
Camping tonight. Low of 25 expected. I'll be snuggled in my tent, so I'm looking forward to it. But tomorrow morning could be miserable - since it's not supposted to get above freezing until mid-day.
***
Bought a groupon to have my pictures scanned. Turns out that the groupon only covers 4x6 pictures, and I have an awful lot of 3x5's. I have to pay $15 extra for those. It's the kind of thing that irritates me about groupons. And I actually tried to read all the fine print.
***
The stuff I bought that says that it cleans outside windows by being sprayed on and rinsed off. It doesn't work. Any other ideas?
***
My favorite new dish of 2012 was roasted garlic and coffee marinated beef strips served on home-made caesar salad in a parmesan crisp basket.
My second favorite was leek and mushroom gratin.
***
Calling Wyoming now. More tomorrow.

No comments: