Monday, December 31, 2012

Motivation.
I think there are too many things on my mind.
As in, I think there are too many things that need to be done and not enough of me to do them in any measurable time. So I'm doing none of them.
I am resting.
First, I have to acknowledge that my stomach hurts yet again. Because I overate. Because I have been over eating. Because it was Christmas. And because now it is New Years.
When I hurt, I can still accomplish a lot of tiny little things, but anything long term is beyond me.
So, these things I am talking about, these things seem big to me. Not huge. Not philosophically challenging even. Not something anyone will write home about (well, except maybe me, but that's a discussion about my relationship with my folks).
Anyway, the whole point of this blog post is to consider the act of "New Year's Resolutions." On the radio, on Facebook, on TV, at New Year's Eve parties everywhere, this is the topic of the night.
Some years I have come up with some New Year's Solutions. I liked that play on words.
My solutions were things like:
 -- Keep camping equipment in the car at all times so I can camp whenever I want.
-- Use my naglene bottles to keep tap water in the fridge and thereby eliminate all purchases of  bottled water.
-- Give away a pair of shoes for each new pair you buy thereby always keeping the closet under control.
-- Only have brown and black shoes and wear scarves the way people change the color of throw pillows to change up the feeling/decor of a room.
Another thing is that I'm not that good at setting those lofty goals for myself.
So.
I do not wish to finally lose weight. I have already been losing weight. And putting on weight. My whole life. It will continue
I do not wish to "get in shape." I am in shape... I am not as strong as I have been, but I am technically able to climb and ride. I bet I can ski too. By next 12.31 I might be stronger or I might be weaker, but my body will still require attention. That too will never change.
I have always always always eventually wanted to go back to school. And I will. And then I'll be done again for a while.
I have always wanted to write. And I do. And then for months I don't have much to say. Sometimes I get published.
I have always wanted to travel. There is no end to the list of places I want to go. And if I ever got to all of them, I'd just want to go back.
I have always wanted to lead. And so the universe has sometimes let me. And sometimes it's my job to follow. And sometimes I am just in the way.
None of those desires will change on 1.1.13

(an aside, The good news here - I really do know myself).

My fear is that if I make a list of things I need to accomplish, it will not be inspired. It will not be brilliant. It will be a list of chores that I need to do.
And if you follow this blog, you know, that list stays pretty static all the time.
Work on the yard. Paint the house. Redo the floors. Paint the walls. Insulate. Buy and install new windows. Weed. Clean. Clean. Clean and, well, Clean. Sometimes the list includes things like, eat vegetables. Eat fruit. Take vitamins. Drink Tea. Again, isn't this what we all need to do every day, all the time, ALL OF US.

Perhaps tomorrow I will have some solutions for things that have been plaguing me recently and perhaps I will publish them.
Perhaps I will decide that I want to post a lofty goal or two. Write that book I thought of this morning. Or the other one I've been working on for six weeks or so.
Perhaps I will just publish another to-do list. Perhaps not.

Today, I am just glad that pork is roasting. Soup is stewing. Brisket is ready to smoke. Chicken is thawed and will bake. I have not sewed my costume, learned how to take black and white pictures with my new camera, taught Kelly to knit, recovered the headboard, organized the damn bookshelf, cleaned out the refrigerator and freezer, taken all my photos out of their albums for scanning, baked cookies, exercised, solved the world's problems or even called John Henning about making me a custom threshold.

I think all this resting requires a cup of tea. Who's with me?



No comments: