Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Happiness vs. Being Happy

I am trying to figure out this thing about Happiness.
We're entitled to the 'pursuit' of it.
But I have been questioning whether anyone knows what comprises it.
And - honestly - whether it exists.

Oh, trust me, I believe that there are times when I am happy. I happily ride my bike, throw down my mat for yoga, shop for ingredients for great dishes, plan ski trips, connect with old friends, read good books, help good candidates find great jobs, learn new things, rescue dogs and on and on and on. There are 1000s, if not millions, of things that make me happy. Sunsets. Sand. Soft sweaters. Shoes (no, I did not intend this whole list to start with S).

But I am not sure being happy constitutes happiness. And even if it does, it's not a perpetual state. Nor something you have, or control, or acquire henceforth to hoard, or share, or time-cost average or quantify or place a monetary value on.

Further, I think that expecting to be happy, and the corollary, being disappointed that you're not, can cause feelings of inadequacy, guilt, and depression.
I have read that in other cultures, happiness is associated with luck.
But in our society, we're even told that luck is something we make. Which means, of course, that if we're responsible for our own luck, then we're also responsible for every unlucky thing that happens, too. That's a lot of responsibility. And pretty darn overwhelming.

I frequently break out an exercise in "gratitude" when I seem to be "not happy" for no particular reason. Another thing my brain does is remind me that most of my problems are first-world issues - like the fact that my favorite formula of Aussie hair spray only comes in the smaller size can at my local store instead of the large, economy size.

So, it turns out, I AM grateful. I DO have perspective. I KNOW that I live a privileged, safe, secure and amazing life. But, does that mean I have Happiness?

People tell me I am too hard on myself (eh, I don't think so) and that I'm never satisfied (not sure we should be - lest we become complacent, or ... lazy). One childhood friend describes me as "extremely serious." And so sometimes I wonder if I'm really a miserable person and that I just don't know what Happiness is, so how could I believe it exists?

On the other hand, I do not strive to be 'rich,' as money is a lot less important to me as people, or experiences. I just want enough money to be comfortable. I also do not stay up late or get up early because I am driven by the rat race of our culture - sleep deprivation is the number one health problem among US adults - but I get 8 hours a night on a bad night.

I have very little fear. But I guess I am a worrier. It's harder for me to put things out of my mind than I realized. And I don't support escaping reality through substances of any kind.

One of the things I have been worried about is that I cannot seem to attain happiness.  But upon further reflection, it's really that I just can't hold on to it.

My guess is that no one can. My guess is that there's no such thing. My guess is that you can be happy, but happiness doesn't exist.

And no, it's not just semantics.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Here are some of my thoughts on Happiness.

Like many so many other philosophical concepts, happiness is often over thought. A distinction between being happy and happiness seems overly flawed. To me it's like saying, is the change in my hand worth $1 or 100 cents.

Furthermore, we need to draw a distinction between experiencing joy with being happy. Riding your bike and doing yoga brings you joy, not happiness. Joy is great and all, but it does not make you happy. If you were to remove some of the things from your life that bring you joy, you could still be happy. Example, I really enjoy roller coasters, but I can do without them and be perfectly happy.

In general, emotions are gauges for your state of being. Emotions work in a similar way that senses work. Pain, hunger, the urge to pee, all these things are signs that you need to do something. Emotions may have a similar purpose.

With that being said, here is the definition...Happiness is the fulfillment of requirements. Tah dah!

You may say that is the definition of contentment, but really, it's one in the same. Happiness is an overly bloated concept. Kind of like loving someone and "being in love" with them.

We are "designed" to seek contentment (not starving and having general safety) and to multiply.

If we have contentment, then we should be happy by default. The reason we aren't is that we are just to smart to get it.

Our brains are overly complex. We have id and super ego. We have memories and baggage from our past. These things keep many of us from being happy. The complexity of our mind makes us forget we are essentially animals and we don't need much to be happy.

I hope that clears that up for you.

Cheers!